Tuesday 24 March 2015

Lessons Learnt From Knitting


This year has seen me fall hard and fast for knitting, something I had tried as a child but not really got into beyond a few weeks.

So far I have made some very questionable phone cases and I just finished a navy blue snood, which is ginormous but something I am very proud of.

If you have yet to pick up those needles, or have learnt previously but have forgotten its majesty, this post is for you!

PATIENCE IS KEY

I made more mistakes than I can count making my snood, but thankfully knitting errors (certainly the ones I have made!) are reversible and it was actually super satisfying to go back and find you've sorted your mistake.

KNITTING IS EXPENSIVE...

I bought four skeins of this wool for my snood and some 10mm wooden needles and all together they clocked in at about £30-35 pounds. I definitely didn't think it would be that expensive when I started, but...

...BUT IT IS WORTH IT

The simple act of knitting is an incredibly calming one and I have really enjoyed doing so as a way to switch off my mind at night. I have also realised that if I wanted to buy a handmade snood from 100% wool of this size, it would definitely cost more than my materials, which is something!

IT'S CHANGED HOW I SEE FASHION

It's fascinating; I never used to see fashion as anything but fun, but now I am also obsessed with the quality of a garment, what it is made with, where it is from and how long it will last. I'm definitely on the hunt for folks that make and sell their own pieces, so shout if there are any on your radar!

I HAVE A LOT TO LEARN

I am honestly not sure how to progress from where I am at as I can knit a couple of basic stitches, cast on and off, but I am clueless as to reading a pattern and what new stitches I should be mastering. Any guidance you guys have would be amazing on this one! Also listening to the Woolful Podcast has been amazingly inspiring, I highly recommend if you are a knitter of any level.

Have you guys ever bust out the knitting needles? If you have, what advice would you share?


 SHARE



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...