Wednesday 5 August 2015

RECENT READS #1



The end of uni and a recent holiday has meant there has been a dramatic increase in reading round these parts! My inner bookworm is finally letting loose and I couldn't be happier about its return (I am pretty sure I've not been this into reading since first year... Crazy!)

I'm sure many of you are as into getting good book recommendations as I am, so this baby is for you (and do please share any loves you have below too!)

SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS - DAVID GUTERSON - ++++ 

I found myself on a major whodunnit kick after Serial and actual read this guy way back in December. It is however so beautifully written that I couldn't leave it out of this post; set in an island community off the US Pacific coast, this follows a murder trial that brings up a huge array of issues that threaten to divide the tiny population. It's a tale of love and prejudice, masterfully handled and gripping to the very end.

THE BEES - LALINE PAULL - +++++

I bought this fella after hearing about it in Lilly's excellent review and I absolutely loved it. It has been a long time since I've read a book that quickly, but The Bees is so addictive that I found myself chomping through it in a couple of days and then fighting the urge to pick it up and re-read it. If you like Margaret Atwood or anything with a dystopian feel, I reckon you'll be surprised by how much you enjoy this. A fabulous and gorgeously rendered book.

THE GREAT GATSBY - F. SCOTT FITZGERALD - ++++

Was I the last person ever to read this? Yes. Did I break my own personal rule and read it after watching the film? Also yes. I did nonetheless hugely enjoy this, finding its style original, cliché free and totally devoid of the pacing issues that so riddle its cinematic counterpart. (Why they turned a 100-page book into 4 hours of star-studded boredom remains beyond me.) For those who haven't watched the "film" - lucky you - this is a tale that is less about the plot but more its richly imagined characters. It's a short but brilliant book.

MRS DALLOWAY - VIRGINIA WOOLF - +++

I really wanted to love this one... but alas, I did not quite fall for it. It's an intense, introspective read, following not only upper-class protagonist Clarissa Dalloway, but those around her, flitting between the viewpoints of each character to narrate the course of one day in central London. Like Gatsby, this is less about an active plot and more about Woolf's brooding and immersive writing style. While I'm glad I read it, I'm in no hurry to read it again.

THE HOUSE AT RIVERTON - KATE MORTON - ++++

The third in my unintentional series of 1920s centric reads, this story is the retrospective of Grace Bradley, a former lady's maid who has been keeping some very dark secrets for a very long time. The adult Grace looks back on her past, and we meet the three children of the grand house at Riverton, who intrigue the young maid and slowly bring her into their world. Despite its size, this is a quick read, leaving you just as intrigued and spellbound by the events as Grace was at the time. I really loved this (and it seems to float round charity shops a lot, so keep your eyes peeled!)

What have you been reading lately? I would love to know and please share any favourites you think I'd enjoy!

 SHARE





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...