Thursday 30 June 2016

Managing Homesickness



It feels only right to feature some of my favourite photos from my bedside table in today's post; I'm about 3000 miles from home and even though I'm someone who really loves travelling, this week saw a lot of headline-grabbing news occur in the UK and it's been tough to keep my chin up.

Homesickness affects us all at different times in our lives; it may be your first year at uni, your year abroad, your first time moving away from home for good, or any number of other instances.

I feel very lucky that for the amount of time I've been away from home my instances of feeling truly homesick have been relatively rare... But even I've had my moments of wishing I was back in my bubble.

If you're away at the moment, this one is for you; and as ever, if you guys have any tips I would love to hear about them in the comments.

Let's get to it.



RECOGNISE YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES IMPACT ON YOUR MOOD


Often homesickness is less a sign that home is where you should be and more an indication that you are struggling with something in your new surroundings. I had it worst when I was working in France, hating my job and noticing the loss of the social life I'd enjoyed in the UK.

Home itself was no rosier or brighter; it just appeared that way because my situation at the time felt so bleak. The solution is usually not to fixate on home but to try and resolve whatever has cropped up in your current setting.


NOT EVERY MOMENT IS AN INSTA MOMENT


Bad days do feel worse when you are away from your bubble... but bad days end and dwelling on them will not help. Not every day of your experience elsewhere will be as fantastic as you might hope, and putting pressure on each moment to be perfect often leaves us enjoying our travels far less.

Keep your chin up, and know that after this rocky patch things will most likely to get so much smoother. I try and leave my lofty expectations aside as much as I can and just appreciate the ride, for better and for worse.



COMMIT TO BEING PRESENT


Sound advice for anywhere you are: give yourself to the situation you are in. As human beings we like to find ways to check out of things that cause us pain; it could be by ringing home as much as you can, hiding in bed, or just letting rip and complaining about what you dislike.

It can be hard to open up and to get to know the people that are around you, but you will always get back what you put in. Be patient and don't be afraid to fake it till you make it, saying yes to going out even when you don't feel like it, as often these are the times that you'll enjoy most. I hugely recommend putting your phone away and ignoring the FOMO; seeing your loved ones having fun may feel productive, but it is truly anything but.

If one area refuses to be fixed (be it work, your new flat or your new friendships), find another way to enjoy wherever you are. I fell for photography in France and it was a great way to connect me to my new country; simple things like attending local classes, trying a new hobby and exploring your local area will help make up for any frustrations and upsets that are happening in other parts of your day.


KNOW THAT TIME WILL PASS


If you try everything and still feel homesick, know that time is a slippery thing and all too soon you'll find yourself headed home. My seven months in France flew by and at the end I found I enjoyed myself most in the last two weeks before my departure. I am now two years older and wiser and it has made being here in the US a much easier experience. The odd wobble is to be expected, but I know that in no time whatsoever I'll be leaving and missing it hugely.


I of course welcome any guidance you have on this subject - have you had any rough experiences of homesickness? Come let me know in the comments!


 SHARE



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...